[ltp] Re: lm-sensors

Volker Braun linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 May 2004 11:17:36 -0400

I do not think that lmsensors would harm any recent thinkpad, but then
IBM is not telling any details about the security chip. In any case, no
thinkpad I know of contains a sensor chip supported by lmsensors. From the
lmsensors README.thinkpad:

        Even with these changes, we still DO NOT RECOMMEND INSTALLING
        lm_sensors 2.6.5 or later on IBM Thinkpads, because:
        [...]

        3) IBM Thinkpads contain a proprietary Embedded Controller which
           is used to access sensors. This controller is not on the SMBus,
           and IBM will not release the programming interface to the
           controller. So lm_sensors isn't useful on Thinkpads anyway.

Cheers,
Volker