[ltp] Thinkpad X20 modem/ethernet combo card [solved]

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 May 2004 20:51:13 -0400

On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:00:47 -0400
Charles E Taylor IV <tomalek@mindspring.com> wrote:

> The ethernet part of the card works fine, but there doesn't seem to be a
> driver for the modem part.  Some other X20s come with a combo card with
> a Lucent winmodem / Intel ethernet combo that is supported under Linux.
> Is it possible to simply replace the 3Com card with the more
> Linux-friendly model?  Anyone tried it?

Just in case anyone reads the archives and is interested in whether the
Linux-unfriendly 3com net/modem combo can be replaced, it can.

The Intel ethernet/modem combo seems to work okay, and the modem's a
Lucent winmodem which you can get modem drivers for.  I haven't done heavy
testing on the ethernet yet, but it works so far on my home LAN.

IBM FRU# 06P3819 is the Intel ethernet / Lucent Winmodem combo card.

It's a drop-in replacement for the 3-com provided you download the X20
hardware manual and figure out how to pop off the keyboard. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/