[ltp] 760XL with a BIG HD Problem

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 May 2004 09:44:16 -0500 (CDT)

Just one data point for you. I had a Micron Millennia Pro 2 computer that
came with a 2GB hard drive (dual Pentium Pro CPUs!). When I upgraded to an
8GB drive, I found that ANY DOS partition at all on the drive would make
DOS not boot.

I believe it was a bug in the BIOS that reported the number of heads as
256, which would read as zero. It freaked out DOS, but every other OS I
tried worked fine.

If you don't have the latest BIOS, go get it. If you do, then this still
might be the issue. Maybe one if these ideas will work for you:

1 - Buy a floppy enclosure. They are on eBay for under $10 all the time.

2 - Buy a different NIC. They are like $2 used.

3 - Make a network boot floppy that actually works with your card. Seems
like a lot of work to me, though.

4 - Sell the 760XL and get something a little more recent. I could never
get sound to work on my 750P (with its awesome 33MHz 486 and 12MB RAM).
I'm glad to be rid of it.