[ltp] Kernel 2.6 and two mice

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 May 2004 10:32:24 +0000

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 12:00:42PM +0200, Edi Weitz wrote:
> However, this is only true if X is not running! With a running X
> server and my XF86Config entry for /dev/input/mouse1 unplugging and
> re-plugging results in the creation of a new device /dev/input/mouse2
> while the old one is still there but unusable. It looks like the X
> server is sticking to /dev/input/mouse1 which therefore can't be
> removed by udev, so udev creates a new device.

What happens if you created a symbolic link to /dev/input/mouse1 and make X
use that mouse still come back on /dev/input/mouse2  after disconnection? If
so can you rm the link and make it point at the new mouse? Does X pick it up
again? If not does switching VT help? If you can get X to somehow pick it up
could can use hotplug to create that sybmolic link for you automagically,
based on what the mouse device type is.

James