[ltp] updated airo driver for MPI350 cards

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 May 2004 16:52:22 +0200

Hi,

Last week, Cisco updated their linux driver for the MPI350 cards
(http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet-utils-linux). The
good news is that I could port some of its new features (and bug fixes)
to the regular airo.c driver :

  . the driver is no longer stuck with old 5.00.01/03/08 firmwares. It
  supports a firmware version up to 5.30.17 (please, only use ACU under
  Windows to flash your firmware).

  . the RFMON mode finally works (this mode requires a recent firmware,
  because 5.00.xx was buggy).

  . and I also updated the new aironet_ioctl struct (that changed since
  the previous cisco driver version). The programs shipped by Cisco to
  configure LEAP (leapscript, etc) should work, but this part is
  completely untested. Several people also reported problems to
  authenticate with LEAP, so reports of problems in this authentication
  mode will be welcome. e-mail me directly for this.

The patch should hopefully be included in the 2.6 kernel soon. You may
want to grab it at :
http://bellet.info/laptop/airo.c-2.6.6-20040521.diff
and for the updated aironet_ioctl :
http://bellet.info/laptop/airo.c-2.6.6-aironet-extensions-20040522.diff

Like other aironet cards, the particularity of this driver with RFMON,
is that it creates a separate interface wifiX, which is dedicated to
802.11 frames. Then, to enable RFMON, you have to do as root :

# ifconfig eth1 mode monitor
# echo "Mode: y" > /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config
# ifconfig wifi0 up

.. and capture traffic on the wifi0 interface.

kismet has a special configuration setup for this driver :
source=cisco_wifix,eth1:wifi0,ciscosource

Best wishes,
--
fabrice