[ltp] R50p Docing Problems

Joshua Megerman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 May 2004 13:55:47 -0400

I recently setup my R50p and Thinkpad Dock II to replace the docking station
for my old laptop.  Unfortunately, the USB ports on teh dock didn't work, si
I called IBM.  Replacing the dock didn't resolve the issue, though it was
determined that the ports worked during POST and not after (USB HDD powers up
when the system turns on, and powers down hard when POST finishes and GRUB
comes up).  USB ports on the laptop proper work while docked, but not in the
dock itself.  This occurred all the way up through BIOS 3.04a.

So we suspect that the system board needs replacing, and after a couple tries
(typo on the phone #, wrong part shipped) the board was just replaced.  Same
problem, even with the latest (3.05a) BIOS.  So I grab a W2K install CD and
lo and behold, the problem doesn't happen.  So the problem has to be with
GRUB...  Has anyone seen/heard of this before?  I'm tempted to switch to LILO
and see if that resolves the issue, but I'd prefer to make GRUB work.

Additionally, now my thinkpad doesn't recognize when it is docked - it just
doesn't see it.  I'm going to try downgrading to BIOS 3.04a, but if that
doesn't solve it I may have to ask for my old mobo back just to let me use my
scripts for startup configuration based on docking status...

TIA for any suggestions, and I'll post further info as I come up with it.

Josh
--
Joshua Megerman
SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division