[ltp] T41p hardware problems

Wolfgang Rether linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:52:05 +0100

Hi,

On 05.11.2004 at 10:22, Steve Harris wrote:

> My T41p has started acting up. After a short while of use the machine goes
> nuts (e.g. random colour blocks, flickering lines, blank screen, that kind
> of thing) then the mouse cursor stops moving and the machine locks up
> entirely.

I had similar problems with my brand new T41p... just took it out of the box and
couldn't even complete the setup of the preinstalled WindowsXP. I tried to
recover a few times from the HPA, but the recovery process didn't complete
without the same problems occuring:-/

Tried many things, sometimes (but not always...) even the IBM PC Doctor that
can be entered before booting via AccessIBM button was unable to complete all tests.

Finally I called IBM support, explained the problems and then returned the TP to
IBM (without ever having really "used" it). I got the system board (which must
have been the failing component) replaced and had the laptop back after 6 days.

I'd call IBM support and explain the problem. The rest (they collect it or you
have to send it in etc.) is depending on your support package.

HTH,
 Wolfgang