[ltp] ibm-acpi how to

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 01:12:50 +0100

> 1. AC plugged in/ plugged out (I see cpu frequency change as this
> happens - even though the fan is ON far too often that what I would
> like)
> 2. Lid closed / opened (ACPI S3 suspend/resume works)
> 3. Fn+F4 ( ACPI S3 suspend works with this)
> 4. Fn + F5 (bluetooth light comes up and goes away as I press this)
> 5. Fn + LCD Brightness  controls
> 6. Fn + ThinkLight turns the light on and off
> 7. Fn + Spacebar enables/disables LCD Zoom

It supports all of those...but afaik LCD brightness and Thinklight
control is a bios thing, so it will work, but ibm-acpi has nothing to do
with it. However, ibm-acpi will enable you to do a echo on/off
>/proc/acpi/ibm/light to control the thinklight in software.

> 1. Fn+F7 (really miss this - this may be a X.org issue)

Sounds like...again ibm-acpi will bring you software control over it -
but only if it works elsewise. The ibm-acpi README says that on many
models the X driver disables Fn-F7. This might be true in your case.

> 2. Dock/Undock
> 3. Fn+F3
> 4. Fn+F12

ibm-acpi will give you events for those.

> Also, I would like to understand as to what exisitng components
> ibm-acpi will replace???

Don't know what component is activated in your distro...maybe the
thinkpad-ibm driver in the kernel. If so, that's what's functionality is
replaced by ibm-acpi.

> > I don't know powersaved and how to configure it to act on the events
> powersaved is just SuSE's version of acpid/cpufreqd but it is improved
> a little bit on both of them.

In what way? Could you point to general information about it? Tried to
google for it, but found nothing about the way it works.

André.