[ltp] car and airplance adapter

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:48:35 -0700

James Knott wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, James Knott wrote:
>>

>> Besides, it's fused.  If you use a cigarette lighter in it and it can't
>> handle the current, if the fuse is correctly sized the worst that'll
>> happen is it'll blow the fuse.
>>
>> Automotive cigarette lighter sockets deliver a pathetically low power
>> anyhow -- 120W (a reading lamp) IIRC.  Hope you don't want to power
>> anything substantial from there.
>>

> I've got a 150W inverter, which I bought for use with my computer.
> Since the computer's AC adapter is rated at 72W, I'm not likely to
> overload either the inverter or accessory socket.  There was a smaller
> one, intended for computers, but mine was cheaper, because it was on
> sale.
>
> James:

A 150W invertor might exceed the power capability of the socket and
might cause the fuse to blow out.  Luckily, fuses for the sockers are
located in your automobile's main fuse box, which is located somewhere
in the passenger compartment of your car or under the front hood
(Britain's call this the bonnet).  What I recommend is getting a 12V
direct to Thinkpad convertor that can be used both in your automobile
and in aircraft.  This might be less expensive than your plug-in
120V/150W convertor.
In any case, enjoy your Thinkpad safely while on the road.

James McKenzie