[ltp] car and airplance adapter

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:29:07 -0500

James McKenzie wrote:

> A 150W invertor might exceed the power capability of the socket and
> might cause the fuse to blow out.

A 150W inverter won't draw that much, unless there's a load connected to
it drawing almost that much.  Inverters are fairly efficient these days,
so they don't draw much more than the load requires.  I've also got some
clips that could be used to connect the inverter directly to the battery
terminals, should I exceed the capability of the socket.

> Luckily, fuses for the sockers are
> located in your automobile's main fuse box, which is located somewhere
> in the passenger compartment of your car or under the front hood
> (Britain's call this the bonnet).  What I recommend is getting a 12V
> direct to Thinkpad convertor that can be used both in your automobile
> and in aircraft.  This might be less expensive than your plug-in
> 120V/150W convertor.

I've already got the inverter, which was about 1/3 the cost of a 12V
adapter.

> In any case, enjoy your Thinkpad safely while on the road.

I find driving tends to interfere with playing some of the games.  ;-)