[ltp] T42 in dock w/ KVM - mouse malfunction?

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:28:53 -0500

Hello,

I've got a new, lovely T42p and a Thinkpad mini-dock.  This is to replace my former
Thinkpad A21p in a Thinkpad Dock.

I use the set-up with a Linksys KVM switch.  Using the old Thinkpad and dock, all works fine.
Using the new T42p and Thinkpad mini-dock the mouse is flaky.  Basically, it freezes if I
switch away form the Thinkpad and then back to it (and a bunch of other situations).
If I use a separate mouse plugged directly into the mini-dock, then all works fine (i.e.
the keyboard and Video switch properly.)

I've tried a Belkin KVM, both with and without power supply and gotten the same behavior.
I've swapped cables and gotten the same behavior.  I've confirmed that the old Thinkpad
and dock still work properly using the same KVM hardware.
I've tried the setup using a Thinkpad Dock II rather than a mini-dock with the same result.

IBM service claims they have never heard any report of a flaky mouse using a KVM switch
with a Thinkpad.  they've also said they won't touch the problem since IBM doesn't sell a KVM.
A Google search suggests others have encountered the problem, but I found nothing definitive.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

TIA

Don A

--
Donald B. Altman