[ltp] ACPI Problem on R51

Thomas Breitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:57:25 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 10.11.2004, 22:50 +0100 schrieb Bertrand Njipwo
Kouatchet:
> Hello every one,
>
> i have 2 problems with my R51 thinkpad1829EHG.For 3 Days i update the
> kernel to kernel-2.6.8 running on debian  and when i turn it down the
> Diplay is off but the
> fan still run, the power-Led and the Wireless-antenna-Led(hop you
> unterstand what i mean) remain on.To turn the Laptop off running linux
>  i need to holp
> for 5 Second the Power-button.I have the same effect when i start the
> command "halt" as Root.

I had the same phenomena after a self-compiled debianized kernel 2.6.8.
In my case, it was only that I compiled in "Local APIC support" and this
"feature" keeps my sytem - like yours - away from powering of cleanly:

"Local APIC support on uniprocessors" under "Processor type and
features"

Just disbling this feature:
# CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set
and my - perhaps your - system halts properly.

Good luck,
thomas

> Please i need help.Is there someone who has already succefully configure
> his Thinkpad R51 (or similar model) and have solved the related problems ?
> I have heard the debian packages "tpb" solve this Problem and additionally
> enable the FN + F3 F4 ......
> Initially the Key commbination FN + F2 F3 ... works well on my machine but
> i didn't get the green-Indication on the Display like using those key
> combination under Windows.
> I have no idea how to configure the "/etc/tpbrc" file that why im asking
> hier if some can help me to solve the related two problems.
>

> Thank in advance
>
> Bertrand Njipwo

Thomas Breitner

mail@tombreit.de   |   http://www.tombreit.de