[ltp] Re: Thinkpad battery exhausted in less than a year?

Martin Gramatke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:53:46 +0100

Brian Beattie wrote:

> it is best to be plugged in when ever power os available.

Hello Brian,

I will try that, thanks.

Meanwhile I had a phone call with IBM. They adviced me to remove the battery
when the notebook is plugged in and in use. I should charge the battery
only when the notebook is off. This is quite impractical. They also told me
to do a total discharge every now and then.
I can not believe that this is the right way, because I have never heard
from other notebook users that they mount/dismount their battery all the
time. The battery is also important to give the notebook a better stand.

My idea to remove the plug when the battery is fully charged was to avoid
these mini charge cycles. As you said, the battery will be no longer
charged when it is at 100%, so it discharges. At a certain point, maybe 98%
the battery becomes charged again and again...

But as I have learned now, my strategy must be wrong.

Is my notebook possibly simply defect? Is the charge intelligence broken?
Which tool tells me how many charge cycles my battery has had?

regards
Martin