[ltp] Re: Thinkpad battery exhausted in less than a year?

Patrick Huber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:41:31 +0100

> I tried, but no luck. I need a one year and a week warranty.

Ugly :-(

> I did a full discharge and as far as I can see it was getting worse. Afaik
> this total discharge is to avoid the so called memory effect of NiMH
> batteries but is no longer useful with Li-Ion. But ok, I will try that 3
> cycle thing, nothing to lose.

The same happened over here too, but the other 2 cycles didn't change the last
full capacity anymore.

> What is that "acpi" tool? I don't have it on my gentoo installation. Does
> it also tell you the actual number of charge cycles?

It's in sys-apps/acpi and it doesn't tell you the number of cycles.

> Well what I wanted to ask, is the lifetime of your battery before you have
> to buy a new one.

I'm not there yet, fortunately.

> Do you leave the system on power even if the battery is full? That is
> different of what I do. I disconnect if full.

Yes, I leave it on power.

> Under windows you can get much much more details about the battery. Hard to
> believe this should not be possible with linux.

I don't know what windows displays so... Maybe a bit hacking in the acpi tool
helps to get more information.