[ltp] what T42 ?

Steve Harris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:41:17 +0000

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:24:42 +0100, Meidinger Chris wrote:
> > > I want to buy a T42 with a 15" screen :
> > > I don't know if I'll buy a 1400x1050 or a 1600x1200 pixels.
> > >
> > > Is one screen uses more the battery than the other ?
> >
> > In general higher res screens use more power, but I dont know
> > if it will be significant. Battery life on the standard
> > battery is pretty poor in my experience (2 hours or so).
>
> I get 4.5 hours with the screen (1600) turned down, 3 hours at full
> brightness.

Forgot to say, mines a T41p, so I guess they improved the battery life.
4.5 hours is still pretty poor compared to my dell and panasonic though.
OTOH the size of hte IBM is great.

> > >   with X11            ?
> > if you dont want 3d.
>
> I have full 3d with the fglrx drivers from ati. you can compile the module
> for any kernel :)

They guy asked about of of the box on debian.

> > >   the wifi (b/g)      ?
> > need the ipw2200 driver
>
> The t42's ship with different cards. my t42p has a ipw2100 in it, but it can
> very. The three common cards all work.

b/g is 2200 AFAIK.

> > >   the acpi mode       ?
> > I dont use it, APM seems more relaible.
>
> I use acpi, works great. Been screwing around with swsusp2 (standard in
> kernel 2.6.9-kanotix-6) but haven't done enough to tell you how good it is.

ACPI was screwing up ismething I needed, possibly realtime patches. I used
it for hte first few weeks though.

- Steve