AW: [ltp] what T42 ?

Meidinger Chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:24:42 +0100

> > I want to buy a T42 with a 15" screen :
> > I don't know if I'll buy a 1400x1050 or a 1600x1200 pixels.
> >
> > Is one screen uses more the battery than the other ?
>
> In general higher res screens use more power, but I dont know
> if it will be significant. Battery life on the standard
> battery is pretty poor in my experience (2 hours or so).

I get 4.5 hours with the screen (1600) turned down, 3 hours at full
brightness.

> Yes, but my last machine was a (16") Dell and at 1600x it was
> a bit of a strain to read, I'd make very sure you can read a
> 1600x screen comfortably before buying one.
>
> 1400x on a 15" screen is the highest I can use confortably.

Yes, look at them. I love the nice small writing ---> it makes the screen
seem so large, more fits on.

> >   with X11            ?
> if you dont want 3d.

I have full 3d with the fglrx drivers from ati. you can compile the module
for any kernel :)

> >   the wifi (b/g)      ?
> need the ipw2200 driver

The t42's ship with different cards. my t42p has a ipw2100 in it, but it can
very. The three common cards all work.

> >   the acpi mode       ?
> I dont use it, APM seems more relaible.

I use acpi, works great. Been screwing around with swsusp2 (standard in
kernel 2.6.9-kanotix-6) but haven't done enough to tell you how good it is.

Cheers,

Chris