[ltp] Trouble with USB-Memory

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:27:10 -0500

** Reply to message from Bertrand Njipwo Kouatchet <bertrand@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:56:23 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I hope this doesn't cover what's already been written.  I'm jumping into the
middle here.  Also, I run SuSE 9.1, which may not correspond with your distro.

1)  Try using the command "lsusb" as root.  See if it finds your usb hardware.
If not, you'll never be able to mount it.  If so, then go to step 2
2)  In my Linux, you don't want to mount "/dev/sda", which is the whole
raw device.  Rather you'd want to mount /dev/sda1 (if it looks like a
primary partition) or /dev/sda5 if it's extended.  The "mount" command
must see a formatted partition.  (Do a "man mount" for details.)
3)  Depending upon details of your hardware, it may not show up as /dev/sda,
which is the first SCSI device.  Rather, it may be /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, etc.

Good luck,

Don A

> Hello,
>
> ich have some Problem when tring to mount my usb-stick.
> For 1 week i use a friends memory.its work well with the command:
>  mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt
> I have buy my one usb-memory and i can use it.The mount commando
> give following output:
>
> ThinkPad:/home/bertrand/TODO# mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> hier ist the output of the dmesg-commando it seems to be somethink wrong
> with the usb-Device:

<SNIP>