[ltp] new computer

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:47:56 -0500

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 00:36, James McKenzie wrote:
> Yip Wai Peng wrote:
>
> >They wanted me to BUY it. Which I didn't. Couldn't figure out why I'm paying
> >for:
> >1) A H.D of less then usable avaliable capacity then advertised.
> >

> Hard drives are advertised as being so many GB which is 1,000,000,000
> bytes not what us computer users call a GB.  This has been and will

I think what he meant was that the recovery partition takes up lots of
space, so his usable space is reduced...however, I agree on the MB / GB
crapola...I remember when they first started that "way back" in the
90's.  At first they got away with it by advertising "10 Million Bytes!"
then they decided to just drop that and "redefine" MB as Million Bytes.