[ltp] FC3 on TP770Z: First Impressions

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:57:16 -0700

M. Leo Cooper wrote:

>Started playing around with FC3 on my 770Z TP. . . .
>
>The installation goes smoother.
>
>USB detection and installation of USB devices is greatly improved.

Great.

>But, on the downside:
>
>Sound still (!) doesn't work with the default kernel. Looks like I'll
>have to do a custom kernel build, just as with FC2 (grumble, grumble).
>
>Some defaults have been changed for no reason I can figure out. For
>example, the CD ROM mounts at /media/cdrom, rather than /mnt/cdrom. Why?
>Of course, this can be remedied by editing /etc/fstab, but why? I guess
>if'n it ain't broke, you gotta fix it anyway.

If you had heard of File Heirarchy Structure (FCS), all devices that
represent permenant media, should be located in the /media directory.
/mount is for temporary non-media devices, such as tape drives, which
was its original purpose. I expect the /mount directory to disappear as
few folks now use tape drives in SOHO systems, but rather use either USB
flash drives, a CD-R(W) drive, or a second (third, fourth) hard drive.

Sound definately needs to be fixed in Fedora.
--

James McKenzie
jjmckenzie51@sprintpcs.com