[ltp] Suspend to RAM on IBM Thinkpad X23

Thomas Breitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:53:13 +0100

Am Freitag, den 26.11.2004, 16:34 -0500 schrieb Todd V. Rovito:
> Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:28:17 -0500
> > "Todd V. Rovito" <rovitotv@rovitotv.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I have Slackware 10 with kernel 2.6.9 and _NO_PATCHES_.  The system will
> >>suspend with the following command "echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep" and
> >>resumes when I press the power button.  The problem is when the system
> >>suspends the screen remains powered on, everything that was on the
> >>screen is cleared but it is obvious the screen still has power.  I have
> >>added "append="acpi_sleep=s3_bios"" to lilo.conf but the screen still
> >>won't shut off.  How do I shut the power off on the screen during
> >>suspend?   Thanks for the help.
> >

> > Shutting the lid should turn off the backlight.
> >
> > (I have an X22 and it does the same thing - except that X is garbled
> > when it wakes up. :) )
>
> Thanks for all the great responses I have not tried Radeon Tool or xset
> (DPMS) because shutting the lid does turn the back light off.  For now
> when I suspend the machine I will run the standby script then shut the
> lid.  Charles with my X23 I have no garbled X problems, have you tried
> kernel 2.6.9?  It works great with no patches!  This is the first time I
> have ever gotten Suspend to Ram to work on Linux with out lots of
> patches and hassles.

Ah sorry, your question was about suspending...
The thing with using xset was, that you can use it to power off the
display without closing the lid *manually* (my t-modell has a hard-coded
"switch" at the lower left corner of the display). useful for scripting
some actions according to the power-state (ac vs. battery).
Greetings,
thomas

> TVR
Thomas Breitner