[ltp] trackpoint not working properly

Meike Reichle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:47:23 +0100

Hi Matt

> That may not be correct.  The Trackpoints on the other Thinkpads I've
> owned (380D, 600X, A22p) have all used PS/2, not IMPS/2.  If the device
> uses PS/2 and you've specified IMPS/2, that'd cause the symptoms you
> describe.

That was the problem. Trackpoint now works like a charm :) (Stupid
question, is the trackpoint "clickable", too?)

> Hmm.  This is, IIRC, a problem with X's architecture.  X only scans for
> devices on startup; if a device is not present at startup, it won't be
> used.  I don't know whether the Xorg people are trying to fix this;
> it'd probably be a real pain to fix thanks to the large amount of code
> in X and the cruft that's accumulated over the years.  HTH anyway,

Everyone I asked assured me it worked great with their Xs. Maybe they
all use x.org, might be. I've been thinking, whether I should put an
x.org on it, but so far I rather tended to avoid the hassle. Hotplugging
however might be a reason ...

Meike