[ltp] Power Saving Modes (was Problem with Acpi)

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:13:11 +0200

On Thursday 07 October 2004 16:14, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I got the impression that you can suspend and/or
> hibernate. =A0One where stuff stays in RAM (but uses less power than
> normal??) and one where your active RAM get stored down to disk
> before you power off.
>
> Are both of these types available on Linux?
> What are the proper names for the different type of power saving
> modes?

Suspend to RAM =3D=3D STR =3D=3D suspend =3D=3D sleep
Suspend to disk =3D=3D hibernate

Both are available in Linux. It all depends on whether you use APM=20
(suspend, hibernate) or ACPI. The difference between them is that with=20
APM the BIOS cares for most parts of the power savings while with ACPI=20
the operating system has to do the work.

Regards,
Matthias

=2D-=20
There is still the danger of EU software patents!

http://swpat.ffii.org/