[ltp] Power Saving Modes (was Problem with Acpi)

Jay Strauss linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:47:09 -0500

Matthias Posseldt wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2004 16:14, Jay Strauss wrote:
>
>>I got the impression that you can suspend and/or
>>hibernate.  One where stuff stays in RAM (but uses less power than
>>normal??) and one where your active RAM get stored down to disk
>>before you power off.
>>
>>Are both of these types available on Linux?
>>What are the proper names for the different type of power saving
>>modes?
>

> Suspend to RAM == STR == suspend == sleep
> Suspend to disk == hibernate
>
> Both are available in Linux. It all depends on whether you use APM
> (suspend, hibernate) or ACPI. The difference between them is that with
> APM the BIOS cares for most parts of the power savings while with ACPI
> the operating system has to do the work.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias

Thanks Matthias,

I'm running a A30 Thinkpad, I have to reboot to see if I have APM (I
suspect I do).

Is one better than the other?  That is, if I have a choice, is APM (or
ACPI) a better solution?

How do you tell if you can use BIOS APM?

Thanks
Jay