[ltp] Power Saving Modes (was Problem with Acpi)

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:00:37 +0200

On Friday 08 October 2004 14:47, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I'm running a A30 Thinkpad, I have to reboot to see if I have APM (I
> suspect I do).

With some kernels my A30p didn't even try to activate ACPI with a
message similar to "Thinkpad found, enabling APM".

> Is one better than the other?  That is, if I have a choice, is APM
> (or ACPI) a better solution?

The A30 has a very stable APM implementation so I'd go for this (I do,
actually). The only thing which is a bit tricky is the hibernation (if
you want to do it with APM hibernation and not a Linux solution like
swsup2), because you need to run a DOS exe to create a hibernation file
on a FAT16/FAT32 partition. I only tried hibernation once and the
graphics output (X) became corrupted when waking up. The system was
unusable until reboot (hard reboot).

> How do you tell if you can use BIOS APM?

You can use it if the BIOS supports APM (the A30 does) and you don't use
ACPI. You can boot Linux with the kernel parameter "noacpi" to disable
ACPI.

Regards,
Matthias

--
There is still the danger of EU software patents!

http://swpat.ffii.org/