[ltp] t41p - /proc/acpi/fan with 2.6.8.1

ben lamothe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:41:51 -0400

there is no entry in /proc/acpi/fan because, as far as the t40 goes,
the machines DSDT is buggy, so ACPI can't control the fan.  i am pretty
sure that the same is the case for the t41.  i am not sure that rebuilding
the DSDT would fix the problem as i am too lazy to try it.  you can try
to indirectly control the fan by enabling cpufreq under power management
in the kernel, setting the default governor to userspace, enabling
enhanced speedstep, and installing a daemon like cpufreqd or cpudyn.
that will throttle down the processor when load isn't that high, thus
lowering temperature and power consumption when the machine is idle.
besides that and taping a box fan to the bottom, i don't really know of
another way to regulate the machines temp.