[ltp] Error on running rpm with FC2

Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:27:04 +0100 (BST)

James,

> I did check for either a .pid or .lock file that would be associated with
> rpm.  No mystery files exist.  I'm wondering if my upgrade in which I deleted
> the /, /root, and /usr directories.  I left the /tmp directory alone as well
> as the /var directory.  I can write to all of the directories.

Occasionally rpm in Fedora seems to show signs of the old RH9 rpm
lock problems.  The classic solution is to kill -9 any rpm processes
left around, then rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*.  Be very careful in that
directory!  If you lose anything else, you're gone.  You may want to
back it up first.

Secondly, I don't understand your method of upgrade you describe - you
didn't go through the standard method from CD, or "linux askmethod"
from a hard drive, FTP etc.?  How did you do it?  At the very least,
check permissions on /tmp itself etc.  /tmp should be: drwxrwxrwt -
the sticky bit on the end is important.

Finally you will get the error you describe if you try and install a
package while not being root, but I won't insult your intelligence by
mentioning it :)