[ltp] ACPI S3 Suspend on Thinkpad G40

Sudhakar Chandra linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:31:35 -0700

Hi,

I have Debian (unstable) installed on my Thinkpad G40.  I have a
hand-compiled kernel 2.6.8.1 (patched with latest bootsplash, ACPI and
swsusp2 patches) that I am using.  Most drivers are compiled as modules
except for framebuufer, bootsplash, swsusp2, etc.

I am able to hibernate my laptop fine using swsusp2. I am also able to
suspend my laptop to RAM just fine (both passing and not passing
acpi_mode=s3_bios to kernel). My problem is waking up from an S3 suspend
to RAM sleep.  When suspended, the "sliver moon" led comes on indicating
that the laptop is sleeping. When I try to wake the laptop up pressing
the power button the laptop never wakes up or wakes up and shows the
crtpyic letters "inu" (which I suspect is from Linux) on the screen and
nothing happens.  The only way I am able to recover is by doing a hard
reboot (pressing and holding the powe button) which takes me back into
GRUB - >loading kernel -> swsusp ...

Is this how it is supposed to work? Is it possible to simply wake up
from the suspend to RAM without having to go through hard reboot and GRUB?

Thanks.

Thaths
--
Grandpa: "I'm an old man, no one listens to me."
Lisa:    "I'm a young girl, no one listens to me."