[ltp] A22p, broken fan, need advice

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:45:36 -0400

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 12:11, after a long battle with
technology, Steven Marcotte wrote:
> IBM has excellent hardware manuals for all their Thinkpads.  The
> manuals will show you how to replace every FRU on the system.
[snip long URL]

One thing to note:  The IBM Field Circus manual says you need to remove
the keyboard bezel to replace the fan assembly on an A22p.  This is not
true; you can remove and replace the fan without removing the keyboard
bezel.  This is convenient; the keyboard bezel is a pain to remove.

> I don't know if the parts are compatible, but used fans sell for
> about $20 on eBay.  Search for 'A2* fan'.  Also,
> www.ibm-spare-parts.com has a large selection of factory direct
> parts.

Finally, after a long delay caused by the people handling mail at my
apartment not recording the arrival of a package from
ibm-spare-parts.com on October 7th, my A22p is up and running again!  I
could've had this machine running 11 days ago.  Oh well... thanks,
Steven, for the parts link and the IBM manual link.  Here's hoping the
machine keeps running for another 2.5 years.  Steven, I owe you a beer
or 3--you'll probably have to come somewhere within a 2-hour drive of
Lansing to collect though :-) .

--
   Some people are alive only because it is traditional to keep
   torturing the poor guy about being lost in the machine room with an