[ltp] Suspend-To-Disk with kernel 2.6.8.1 and ACPI Patch

Ronald Hitz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:33:15 +0200

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:12:06 +0200
=46rom: Ronald Hitz <Ronald.Hitz@ivx.de>
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: Fwd: Re: [ltp] Supend-To-Disk with Kernel 2.6.8.1 and ACPI-Patch- =
append resume
Sender:  <Ronald.Hitz@ivx.de>

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

----- Forwarded message from Ronald Hitz <Ronald.Hitz@ivx.de> -----

=3D46rom: Ronald Hitz <Ronald.Hitz@ivx.de>
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: Re: [ltp] Supend-To-Disk with Kernel 2.6.8.1 and ACPI-Patch- appen=
=3D
d resume

Hi Niels,

shit.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 04:06:59PM +0200, Niels Stargardt wrote:
> Hi Ronald,
> it's exhausting. I take the kernel 2.6.8.1 and patch it with
> 1. the software-suspend-2.0.0.105-for-2.6.8.1
> 2. software-suspend-core-2.0-whole
> 3. acpi-20040816-26-stable-release.diff (I didn't get acpi-20040715-26-st=
=3D
able-release.diff.bz2)

My failure  in type-writing. Yours is the one I have as well.

> I take your config and compile the whole stuff. This is the current state:
> suspend to ram: Doesn't work anymore. Wakes up very quickly or sleeps for=
=3D
ever (so I had to unplug the socket).

seems to be a way back for You.=3D20
___________________________________________________________________________=
=3D
_______________
> sound: Doesn't work anymore. Suppose that's because you don't choose the =
=3D
oss-modules.

Don't understand why Your Speakers don't work with alsa:

lspci:
(extract)
0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)

work with
this bunch, beginning with snd_intel8x0 Modul:

snd_intel8x0           37448  1
snd_ac97_codec         73732  2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss            62888  0
snd_mixer_oss          21888  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm               108872  3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              28292  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         12488  3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         8832  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            27108  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8712  1 snd_rawmidi

But it's another theme
___________________________________________________________________________=
=3D
_________

> speed-stepping: cpudyn don't set the frequency down :-(

> software suspend to disk2: Doesn't work, because i don't find out what I =
=3D
must do to avoid the following messages:
>=3D20
> kernel: Software Suspend 2.0.0.105: Software suspend is disabled.
> kernel: This may be because you haven't put something along the lines of
> kernel:
> kernel: resume2=3D3Dswap:/dev/hda1
> kernel:
> kernel: in lilo.conf or equivalent. (Where /dev/hda1 is your swap partiti=
=3D
on).
>=3D20
> Of course I added  resume2=3D3Dswap:/dev/hda4 to my default kernel-start =
se=3D
ction in grub, but it doesn't changed anything.
>=3D20
> software suspend to disk: Doesn't work. echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep is comp=
=3D
letely ignored, nothing happened.
>=3D20

That's why I said shit in the opening.

Do You have a default resume-partition in the kernel-config?
(You must have, because You have my config .? )
See further..

Then You don't need the resume2=3D3Dswap:/dev/hda4 parameter in grub
Just give it a try. Cancel it.

I have seen this failure-report on my lappie before, but I'm not sure
about in which circumstances. Was it the swap ?

Does your swap Partition work ?
Is it reachable ?
extract of my kernel-config:

#
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=3D3Dy
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=3D3Dy
# CONFIG_PM_DISK is not set

#
# Software Suspend 2
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_CORE=3D3Dy
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2=3D3Dy
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_WRITER=3D3Dy

#
# Image Storage (you need at least one writer)
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_SWAPWRITER=3D3Dy
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_NULLWRITER is not set

#
# Page Transformers
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_LZF_COMPRESSION=3D3Dy
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_GZIP_COMPRESSION is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_NULLTRANSFORMER is not set

#
# User Interface Options
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_TEXT_MODE=3D3Dy

#
# General Options
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_ACPI=3D3Dy
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_RELAXED_PROC=3D3Dy
------------> CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEFAULT_RESUME2=3D3D"/dev/hda2"
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_KEEP_IMAGE is not set

#
# Debugging
#
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_VARIATION_ANALYSIS is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_DUMP is not set

#
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
#
CONFIG_ACPI=3D3Dy
--More--
___________________________________________________________________________=
=3D
_____

>=3D20
> So I start to analyze your kernel-configuration and found some interestin=
=3D
g lines:
> CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT=3D3Dy
> CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT_FILE=3D3D"/usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1/drivers/acpi/acp=
i_=3D
dsdt.h"
> CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=3D3D0
> I don't have these options and I don't have the file "acpi_dsdt.h". So fr=
=3D
om where do you have this?

Of course, You have to fall over this, when You were canny.(!=3DB0)

Custom_DSDT was my DSDT.
I searched a way to solve the hibernate problem with acpi and fell over
the kernel message, that my dsdt was wrong, and I was told to nagger my
Computer manufacturer.
I changed my dsdt, so it cleanly compiled with iasl from intel, and used a =
=3D
while.
It produced, although it compiled good, a lot of failure reports when
integrated in the linux-kernel.
=3D46rom 2.6.8.1 (vanilla, directly from kernel.org) and later I think, the=
re=3D
 was a new option to integrate Your
own DSDT, (in the ACPI-config-part)what I did.

I used it in the config I sent You and the hibernation went well, but
know I changed it to the dsdt inculded in the kernel-sources and the
failure-reports stopped now totally.
So You can stay with the vanilla-kernel and the patches and be happy, I
hope,  because You have the same -laptop model.
>=3D20
> I try to  make a conclusion, to make sure that I understand everything ri=
=3D
ght:
> You have take the kernel 2.6.8.1 with the patches above and compiled them=
=3D
 with the mailed config.
After that at your IBM Thinkpad R40 (Centrino) 2722 5MG, sound,   #  yes
                                                   suspend to ram # no
                                      and software-suspend to disk works. #=
=3D
 yes
                     softwaresuspendtodisk2 is untested I supposed.# is
		     tested  and works with suspend to disk, not suspend
		     to ram
			=3D20
		=3D09

> On my IBM Thinkpad R40 (Centrino) 2722 5MG it doesn't work using the same=
=3D
 kernel and softwaresuspendtodisk2-patch but an different ACPI-Patch. Furth=
=3D
ermore you have the 3 mystic-lines (*DSDT*) in your kernel-config which I d=
=3D
on't find in my config.
>=3D20
> Could you check how the DSDT-Lines come into your kernel?
> Can you send me the version-number of your bios?
Bios Version 1PET52WW(1.20)
Bios Release 03/03/2004