[ltp] THinkpad t23 1.13ghz and mplayer

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:31:44 -0400

You mentioned an external display...are you using mplayer in overlay
mode?  If so, you'll see a huge performance hit.  You're better off
setting the driver to use hardware overlay on the external monitor.
-James

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 18:03, Nicholas Twist wrote:
> Hi there everyone from New Zealand.
> I am using a 1.13ghz Pentium 3 thinkpad with Yoper 2.1 installed. The
> computer has 384mb of ram and plugged into the wall (for full speed). I
> know I should tweak the mplayer settings but I am wondering why I am
> getting choppy DVD playback. It loses sound too. The processor levels
> are right up in the "red zone" too. I am using the VESA graphics driver
> and using an outboard projector.
> This is the first time I've tried watching a DVD on this (or any)
> computer and was surprised it was so taxed by it. I am in awe that
> people have made DVD playback possible, however the viewing experience
> could be better on this computer as it stands. Has anyone got any tips
> for how to get smooth DVD playback?
> I am getting the digest so I anyone cares to email me back privately
> that would be nice.
>
> BTW, yoper 2.1 is really good. It installs a minimal operating system
> with an integrated Openoffice setup. KDE 3.3 is used and Reiser4 is an
> optional file system when installing. Full laptop functionality requires
> rebuilding the kernel I believe (for this laptop anyway) but is usable
> as is...
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies, Nicholas

James F. Ryan
Chief Executive Officer
Total Information Security, Ltd.

Unit 15, 18 Edenvale Crescent, Mt. Eden, New Zealand
P: +649 353 1316 | M: +64 21 528690 | F: +649 353 1316
http://www.totalinfosecurity.com