[ltp] System Hang on Logout

Gary Huntress linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:05:42 -0400

I have a very generic installation of RH9 on a 600e.  The only continuing
problem that I have is that X  (or Gnome?) freezes when a user logs out.  It
appears more likely to happen the longer X is in use but thats only a gut
feeling.

The exact symptom is that if a user chooses to log out from X (run level 3
or 5) applications will close and usually all desktop icons will disappear
and visually I see a very slow vertical screen refresh that appears to crawl
down the screen, taking maybe 5 seconds.  Most hangs leave just a totally
blank desktop with the default background image.  The only thing I can do is
reboot.

I have looked in /var/log/messages and have not seen anything apparent,
although I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

I tried to "yum update" and "yum upgrade" both XFree and Gnome but I'm
apparently up to date.

The system is not frozen, if I recall correctly I can still ssh in (I did
not try this for my most recent freeze).

Any tips appreciated.

Regards,

Gary H.