[ltp] T40: does the bios update make the fan worse?

ben lamothe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:16:13 -0400

Hi, I installed the bios update a while back in an attempt to fix the
infamous T40 fan problem.  I did notice a difference, but I am not sure
if it is a positive one.  When the fan runs after the bios update it
doesn't "accelerate" every five seconds, but every 30 instead, which is
a lot less annoying, so there is an improvement.

The problem I have with the update however is that the fan comes on a
lot more often, even in windows.  Before the update, the fan rarely came
on in windows, only if I put the system under very heavy load.  The same
could be said for linux without an x-server running, but now, even if
the machine is turned on and left idle, linux sans x or windows, the fan
always comes on after ~10 mins.  Does anyone else notice this, and if
so, does anyone know how to reverse the bios update?  After I installed
the update, I switched to ATI-Drivers, and I am pretty sure that this
was the problem all along.  thanks.