[ltp] Journaling on a laptop?

Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:41:16 +0200

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 16:09:16 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Not absolutely, specifically a ThinkPad question, but related to
> battery life on ThinkPads, I think, so please forgive me :-)
>
> What's the current thinking on journaling filesystems on a laptop? In
> the past, I've used ext2 instead, based on the idea that the HD will
> spin down and save battery life if I'm using a non-journaling file
> system.
>
> But I just started my T42p install and the defaults this time (it's
> been a while since I installed anything from scratch) were all for
> ext3. For the moment, I've gone ahead and let them be ext3, but I
> wonder...

With kernel recent 2.4 and laptop mode enabled, I used ext3 and the
laptop mode script with a very long commit timeout for the journal,
together with noflushd, which resulted in long spin down times.
However, with kernel 2.6 (I use 2.6.6) noflushd does nothing as far as
I can see, and haven't spend much time in getting it working again yet.

Regards,
Tino