[ltp] Re: ibm_acpi 0.4 on a T42p

Norman Walsh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:02:34 -0400

--=-=-=

/ Borislav Deianov <borislav@users.sourceforge.net> was heard to say:
| You can do this two ways. One is to leave Fn-F5 control to the
| BIOS. You do this by clearing the corresponding bit in the hotkey
| mask, i.e. "echo enable,0xffef > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey". The other is
| to send the event to userspace (e.g. by using the full 0xffff mask),
| catch it via acpid or whatever, then use a script to control bluetooth
| via /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth. I should probably replace my radio.sh
| example script with a bluetooth one that does this.

Duh. And it says this right in the README file, too. Sorry about that.

|> In neither configuration does Fn-F7 have any effect on the display.
|
| If Fn-F7 does nothing, /proc/acpi/ibm/video is not going to work
| either. It just calls the same ACPI methods that Fn-F7 does. Does
| Fn-F7 work if X is not running?

I tinkered with the BIOS, selecting Analog (VGA) instead of DRI as the
display device and now I can switch between them.

The interesting thing is: if X isn't running, I can toggle between
them. If X is running, the LCD always displays, even when I've toggled
to the external display. Which is fine, I guess. In any event, that's
probably an X driver issue.

| The best you can hope for with ACPI control of video switching is same
| image, same resolution on both displays. Anything fancier than that
| you won't be able to do through ACPI but you might be able to do it
| via XF86Config. I know several people here have been trying to do
| this, check the archives.

Will do, and thanks for your help.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm