[ltp] Re: ibm_acpi 0.4 on a T42p

Borislav Deianov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:01:20 -0700

Hi Norm,

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 13:38:05 +0000 (UTC) Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> A few notes the brief experiments on my T42p.
>
> Before loading ibm_acpi, Fn-F5 toggles Bluetooth
>
> After loading ibm_acpi, it doesn't.

You can do this two ways. One is to leave Fn-F5 control to the
BIOS. You do this by clearing the corresponding bit in the hotkey
mask, i.e. "echo enable,0xffef > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey". The other is
to send the event to userspace (e.g. by using the full 0xffff mask),
catch it via acpid or whatever, then use a script to control bluetooth
via /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth. I should probably replace my radio.sh
example script with a bluetooth one that does this.

> In neither configuration does Fn-F7 have any effect on the display.

If Fn-F7 does nothing, /proc/acpi/ibm/video is not going to work
either. It just calls the same ACPI methods that Fn-F7 does. Does
Fn-F7 work if X is not running?

> I really would like to be able to have the display on both the LCD and
> the CRT (for projecting to give presentations) and I'd like to be able
> to control the resolution :-)
>
> Actually, what would be ideal is an arrangement where I can project
> something other than what is on the LCD, but one step at a time...

The best you can hope for with ACPI control of video switching is same
image, same resolution on both displays. Anything fancier than that
you won't be able to do through ACPI but you might be able to do it
via XF86Config. I know several people here have been trying to do
this, check the archives.

Regards,
Boris