[ltp] Re: T41 Recovery CD

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:13:35 -0400 (EDT)

=09My experience was the T40/T42 recovery was:

 - The license key you have is an OEM key, so presumably the disc is too. =
=20
   The key won't work with a retail or MSDN WinXP CD, but it does work
   with Dell WinXP CDs.  I haven't tried the converse (retail key and IBM
   disc), but based on the above I would guess that it won't work.  Plus,
   on account of the process you followed, I suspect the disc isn't
   "identical" to a standard OEM install disc.

 - Recovery deletes the first partition and then installs to the first
   block of contiguous free space (which could be bigger than the original
   first partition if there was free space after it).  Later partitions
   are safe.  The partition must be at least 8GB or so or else the
   recovery will either fail or produce a corrupt Windows installation. =20
   You can save a little space if you intervene during some of the IBM
   software installs and reduce the swap size and disable hibernation, but
   you have to time this carefully.

 - If you install from a recovery CD, you should get all your drivers and
   pre-installed software back.  If you install from a "plain" Windows XP
   disc, you have three choices.  1) download everything from IBM, burn it
   to CD/DVD, and then install drivers etc. from there 2) download
   ethernet drivers, copy to the new machine via CD or floppy, install,
   then download and install the rest once network access is working. =20
   The only thing I know if that you can't download is the CD/DVD software
   (playback and burning) -- I think they only have updates on the site.
   3) copy everything from the drivers and apps directories on the
   original Windows XP install onto CDs or a DVD and then use that to
   reinstall all the drivers after you've reinstalled WinXP.  Option #3
   has the least hassle, but won't result in the most updated drivers.

=09On the T40, I used the recovery CD and then uninstalled or=20
disabled all the stuff I didn't want.  On the T42, I saved all the=20
important stuff to DVD, installed from a Dell CD, then installed the=20
drivers and apps I cared about from the DVD.  Both ways worked fine.

Aaron