[ltp] CPU Speed T40p

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 03:12:27 -0400 (EDT)

>You don't need a cpu control daemon if you use the ondemand governor -
>that governor takes care changing the speen internally with lower
>latency that a userspace daemon.

Interesting, my system has no "ondemand" governor, only userspace and performance.  It uses cpuspeed daemon to provide ondemand functionality.  Is this a distro thing (FC3)?
Also, once I was playing around echoing stuff to those files (echoing governors to scaling_governor or echoing frequencies directly to scaling_setspeed) and watching the frequency change with /proc/cpuinfo (yes, I have a lot of time on my hands and I'm easily amused...).  You may recall the last time the "how do I set my cpu speed" question was asked on this list (it seems to be a perennial favorite, along with "how do I get the thinkpad buttons to work")...I actually responded with the advice to echo to those files and at that time someone cautioned me that it could be dangerous and I should use cpuspeed.
Anyway, I got into a situation where the cpu frequency just stopped responding and stayed at the lowest frequency no matter what I did.  Hence, my advice not to echo to these files.  At least, not with the cpuspeed daemon running...
Anyway, you seem to be pretty sure that it can do no damage so maybe I'll have some fun again.

-m

This message was sent using TotalOffice.com -- Secure, encrypted webmail with the look and feel of a desktop application.
http://www.totalinfosecurity.com