[ltp] CPU Speed T40p

Ingo van Lil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:00:02 +0200

On 03 Apr 2005, morpheus wrote:

> Interesting, my system has no "ondemand" governor, only userspace and
> performance.  It uses cpuspeed daemon to provide ondemand
> functionality.  Is this a distro thing (FC3)?

It's a kernel thing. The "ondemand" governor was introduced in 2.6.9.

> Anyway, I got into a situation where the cpu frequency just stopped
> responding and stayed at the lowest frequency no matter what I did.
> Hence, my advice not to echo to these files.  At least, not with the
> cpuspeed daemon running...

Sure, either use a speed daemon or pick a scaling governor yourself;
mixing these approaches doesn't make any sense. I noticed that the
ondemand governor reacts a great deal faster than any userspace process
could do. I can tell because, for some reason, my CPU gives a
high-pitched beep if it's running idle at high clock rates, so I can
actually hear how fast the clock speed is adapted.

        Cheers,
            Ingo