[ltp] frequent black screen on start-up, good later on

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:10:44 -0400

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:50:48 -0400 (EDT)
Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Mack Stevenson wrote:
>
> > Pointing a lamp directly at the screen l've noticed that the screen is
> > not  really *off*: it is just incredibly dimmed. I can see the text
> > scroll by,  and the colorful IBM logo is also visible right after
> > booting.

> > Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Can this be a hardware
> > problem,  even if the screen works perfectly when it is "lighted"?

> Try hitting the key combo (twice if necessary) to toggle the backlight
> (Fn-F3 on my T40).

When my old 770 was acting up, this trick worked.  Until the backlight
finally gave out completely. :)

Sounds like the OP might have a backlight problem.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/