[ltp] frequent black screen on start-up, good later on

Mack Stevenson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 05 Apr 2005 01:50:50 +0200

Hi all,

Charles E Taylor IV <tomalek@mindspring.com> wrote:

>The more you describe the problem, the more it sounds like you've got a
>backlight problem (especially the screen being "dim" at power-on before
>the system actually boots).

>1) Call IBM if the machine's under warranty.

Nope... : )

>2) Disassemble the laptop and reseat the internal connectors for the
>screen (sometimes failing backlights are caused by loose connectors).
>IBM's hardware maintenance manuals are good and available as PDF files on
>IBM's web site - they'll show you exactly how to remove/replace parts.  Do
>only if the laptop's NOT under warranty.

I followed your advice and I read through IBM's manual for this model (T21,
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4UYM3F).
"Reseat LCD connectors" is indeed the first recommended solution for these
symptoms. I'd like to ask you two questions:

- The section on LCD assembly (p. 125 of the PDF file, 119 printed), which
explains how to separate the LCD from the rest of the machine, does not
explicitly state how to "reseat the connectors". What exactly must I do
after having dettached the LCD?

- The manual states that screws in thinkpads are "one-time use only"; should
expect trouble from trying to rescrew those in my laptop?

Thank you for any further help,

Mack