[ltp] Re: T43 report

Jeff Lessem linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:57:01 -0600

Alejandro Bonilla <abonilla@linuxwireless.org> writes:

> I was reading the specs of this laptop, and looks like it does have
> Sata Support, I don't tend to not believe what people say, but... Are
> you really really sure it ain't sata? :)

The kernel driver being used is SATA, but what I saw was definately a
44 pin PATA connector.  I believe I have an MHT2080AH drive, not the
2080 SATA drive that Fujitsu also sells.

http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/download/hard-drives/mht5400rpm-datasheet.pdf
http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/download/hard-drives/mht-bh-datasheet.pdf

Inside the laptop is the 44 pin female connector.  I haven't taken the
computer apart, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 44 pin connector
was on a daughterboard that could be replaced with a SATA connecter.
I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that the computer is using a
SATA-PATA bridge, as Linux thinks it is a SATA drive.  That could also
be a quirk of the ACH-6 chipset or the PIIX driver.

On the upside, I have no complaints with the performance of the drive:
/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  102 MB in  3.02 seconds =  33.72 MB/sec

If you do plan on buying a t43 and replacing the drive, I would
strongly recommend that you wait until you receive the notebook and
can inspect the existing drive before making any purchases.

BTW, the fingerprint reader is a USB device listed as
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics
and there currently is no Linux driver.  This device is always
"plugged in", unlike the bluetooth module,
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0a5c:201e Broadcom Corp.
which can be loaded and unloaded via hotkey.