[ltp] OpenGL/1.3 Mesa Woes on T40 w/ ATI 7500

Scott Jaderholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:32:33 -0600

Hi guys,

I am trying to get 1.3 Mesa or higher working on my T40 with ATI Radeon
Mobility 7500. I am running ubuntu hoary, which uses a recent version of
xorg. I changed /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use "radeon" instead of "ati".

Right now I have:

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Radeon 20040929 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 6.2.1

glxgears -info gives me 500-600fps

That's all a fine and dandy, but glest (a game) says it must have 1.3
Mesa or higher. So I was trying to figure out how to get that to say 1.3
Mesa, and I installed libosmesa4, which installed mesag3 and
libglu1-mesa, but it uninstalled ubuntu-desktop, x-window-system-core
xlibmesa-dri, and xlibmesa-glu.

It gave me 1.4 Mesa something (I think 5.something) but no direct
rendering, and glxgears -info gave me 20fps.

So it looks like I can have 1.4 Mesa and no speed, or 1.2 Mesa and lots
of speed. Why is this? I've heard there is no support by ATI for this
video card, but I also heard xorg has an open source driver and that's
what I'm using (I think, I didn't install the fglrx binary driver).

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated--I've spent the
last two hours searching google and asking on IRC, with no luck so far.

Sincerely,
Scott