[ltp] Mails from ATI about the Suspend-To-Ram problem with fglrx drivers

Mario Limonciello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 09 Apr 2005 02:23:38 -0400

Nils wrote:

>I've removed the headers and you can read mails between me and ATI.
>You can read this long mail, but you won't find a solution except waiting :-)
>

>1.) To ATI
>Linux Driver Feedback
>Details:  I've seen that it is a problem to resume a linux computer from
>suspend mode with ATI fglrx drivers. (FireGL T2) The problem is that I wait
>over a year that ati solves this really very big problem, because who needs a
>driver for a notebook which can't resume ??? Everbody can make mistakes, but
>this no joke anymore. Please release better driver or many people are so
>angry, that they'll never buy ATI products in the future and I am one of
>them.
>I hope I'll get an answer to solve this issue,
>Nils
>
>[Or release the driver under GPL and it would be the best graphic driver of
>the world in some weeks :-) ]
>

>2.) From ATI
>Sleep mode settings is not controlled by display driver - it is controlled by
>the Linux configuration tools available in your particular distro.
>
>This is a laptop as well, you should set up the fglrxconfig using laptop mode.
>
>Regards,
>

>3.) To ATI
>I think my describtion of the problem was not clear enough. My laptop works
>fine with suspend to ram (or disk) if I use the opensource driver radeon
>(Xfree / Xorg), but these drivers don't support 3D acceleration.
>That is the reason why I want to use the firegl driver from ATI. The laptop
>also works fine, it suspends without problems, but then I wake it up and my
>screen is garbled and I've to reboot it. (really really bad ...)
>
>On the ATI support pages I found this: (for over a year!)
>( http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.10.19.html
>Attempting to resume from system suspension results in the system failing to
>respond. )
>
>Is ATI working to fix this issue or should it be fixed and working ? But I
>don't know anybody of some hundred linux users.
>

>4.) From ATI
>Laptops hang on suspend/resume mode
>
>This issue affects the following system configurations:
>
>ATI Proprietary Linux driver
>Laptop system with ATI display adapter
>
>Suspending the system works correctly.  Resuming from system suspension
>results in a system hang.
>
>ATI engineering is aware of this issue and is investigating.
>
>This issue is under investigation.  There is no solution available at this
>time.
>
>I still believe that changing some of the settings on the fglrxconfig may help
>you fix this issue.
>
>Have tried the external agpgart?
>
>Regards,
>

>5.) To ATI
>Hi,
>I tried external agp-gart.
>
>lsmod | grep agp
>intel_agp 20060 1
>agpgart 28840 1 intel_agp

> [...]
What has been your makeshift solution in the meanwhile.  I am switching
to ACPI from APM because I was getting random crashing and didn't like
the power usage from APM when I knew it should a lot better.  So far
today in searching these forums, the only solution I see that still uses
fglrx is to kill the X server prior to suspending, followed by starting
it right after resuming, is this the case, or do you have a different
makeshift solution?

Mario