[ltp] How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Alexander Rydekull linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:03:40 +0200

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

>	At the suggestion of one of my colleagues, I tried moving from
>apm (which has never failed me), to acpi (where I've heard nothing but
>horror stories). I compiled up an acpi-enabled kernel, added a 'lid'
>script in /etc/acpi/events, and ran the following command after
>booting to this new kernel:
>
>	echo mem > /sys/power/state
>
>	After that, my T42p turned into a brick.
>
>	I ended up spending about 3 hours on the phone with IBM, up to
>level 3 support (I didn't even know they _had_ a level 3). They
>basically said I should send it in for a replacement because it was
>"deader than dead". We tried everything (power, battery, holding down
>power button for 75 seconds with all power input detached, and many
>dozens of other things). Nothing would work.
>
>	I could push the power button and the power light would come
>on, but there was no BIOS, no POST, no beeps, no backlight, nothing. I
>pulled out all of the drives and peripherals, and still nothing would
>bring the laptop back up. I tried draining the battery and leaving it
>running overnight, that too didn't help.
>
>	Finally, I found a resource on the IBM website (with the help
>of third-level support) that had tutorial movies for every single step
>of disassembling every laptop they support. I found the one that
>described removing the "backup battery" under the wristrest. Once I
>removed that, and replaced it... everything came back together, and
>the laptop booted (with generic factory settings).
>
>	So now.. after stressing and sweating that I had just bricked
>a 2-week-old $3k laptop, I'd like to return to the original reason I
>started trying to get acpi working on my Thinkpad in the first
>place... so I could get my docking station (and its attached
>peripherals) working.
>
>	What do I need to do, to get my "Dock II" docking station
>working with my T42p, so I can dock, undock, and mount the peripherals
>attached to it (dvd drive, external backup drive, mouse, sound, etc.)?
>
>	Also, what is the "proper" way to get acpi working, without
>turning my laptop into a brick? I'd rather not have to disassemble the
>whole laptop (14+ screws on the bottom) to unplug the backup battery,
>just so I can resume from suspend, if I can avoid it. APM works
>beautifully here without any problems at all.
>
>	Has anyone managed to accomplish both of these tasks?
>

>David A. Desrosiers
>desrod@gnu-designs.com
>http://gnu-designs.com

I cant answer your questions as I have no dock or a T42, but I wonder if
you could share those links to where they disassemble there comps...
movies etc. I think that would be nice to see.

Thanks in advance
Alexander Rydekull