[ltp] How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:52:29 -0400 (EDT)

	At the suggestion of one of my colleagues, I tried moving from
apm (which has never failed me), to acpi (where I've heard nothing but
horror stories). I compiled up an acpi-enabled kernel, added a 'lid'
script in /etc/acpi/events, and ran the following command after
booting to this new kernel:

	echo mem > /sys/power/state

	After that, my T42p turned into a brick.

	I ended up spending about 3 hours on the phone with IBM, up to
level 3 support (I didn't even know they _had_ a level 3). They
basically said I should send it in for a replacement because it was
"deader than dead". We tried everything (power, battery, holding down
power button for 75 seconds with all power input detached, and many
dozens of other things). Nothing would work.

	I could push the power button and the power light would come
on, but there was no BIOS, no POST, no beeps, no backlight, nothing. I
pulled out all of the drives and peripherals, and still nothing would
bring the laptop back up. I tried draining the battery and leaving it
running overnight, that too didn't help.

	Finally, I found a resource on the IBM website (with the help
of third-level support) that had tutorial movies for every single step
of disassembling every laptop they support. I found the one that
described removing the "backup battery" under the wristrest. Once I
removed that, and replaced it... everything came back together, and
the laptop booted (with generic factory settings).

	So now.. after stressing and sweating that I had just bricked
a 2-week-old $3k laptop, I'd like to return to the original reason I
started trying to get acpi working on my Thinkpad in the first
place... so I could get my docking station (and its attached
peripherals) working.

	What do I need to do, to get my "Dock II" docking station
working with my T42p, so I can dock, undock, and mount the peripherals
attached to it (dvd drive, external backup drive, mouse, sound, etc.)?

	Also, what is the "proper" way to get acpi working, without
turning my laptop into a brick? I'd rather not have to disassemble the
whole laptop (14+ screws on the bottom) to unplug the backup battery,
just so I can resume from suspend, if I can avoid it. APM works
beautifully here without any problems at all.

	Has anyone managed to accomplish both of these tasks?

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com