[ltp] Re: How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Shannon McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:06:04 -0400

--------------090309030205060609030109

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>>>	echo mem > /sys/power/state
>

>>you don't want to do that... instead you should remove some
>>troublesome modules first.
>

> 	What troublesome modules should I remove? usb_uhci? ath_hlan?
>

>>I'm surprised... when i did what you did (on a t40p) i was unable to
>>resume, but a long hold of the power button took care of my trouble.
>

> 	That definately didn't work in my case.
>

>>Also I strongly recommend a very recent kernel (i'm using 2.6.11.6
>>with one small radeon patch to avoid excessive power consumption
>>during suspend - which i don't think you'll need since you have a
>>different video subsystem)
>

> 	As I mentioned originally, I was using 2.6.11.7, which is even
> more recent than yours.
>

>>I've found acpi to be far superior to apm in the domain of power
>>consumption.  I've added over an hour to my run time since
>>switching.
>

> 	I've never yet seen a 100% success story with it, but I have
> seen thousands (yes, _thousands_) of stories from people who have
> tried, and become so utterly frustrated that nothing works, that they
> went back to APM.
>

>>In addition suspend/resume time seems rather quicker that under apm.
>

> 	Well, the suspend part of that 'echo' command worked, but
> resume never happened, once it suspended, it was dead, and I had to
> disassemble it to yank that backup battery to get it back.
>

>>I hope this bad experience does not dissuade your from acpi forever.
>

> 	Where are the docs on how to configure it properly? After
> searching Google for about a full week straight, I haven't yet found
> _one single instance_ where someone has it working correctly, and
> provided instructions or links to anything that would help.
>
> 	I guess once I figure it out, I'll be the first to write it
> all down in detail.
>

> David A. Desrosiers
> desrod@gnu-designs.com
> http://gnu-designs.com

David,

I still don't see that you've tried swsusp2.  I've been using this
successfully through many kernels and distributions.  The instructions
are laid out rather well.  Boot time for me is 45 seconds.  Here's their
main site:

http://www.suspend2.net/

This is a wiki for the project:

http://wiki.suspend2.net/

The project has been very progressive with support for current kernels.
  They have a very good support structure via forums like this.  Give it
a try.

Shannon

--------------090309030205060609030109

begin:vcard