[ltp] How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Dragos Vingarzan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:12:56 +0200

As the Hardware Maintenance Manual states, the screws should be used
only once as they are supposed to be nylon coated - this helps to
tighten the grip they have and they don't come loose with time. After
one usage, the nylon is damaged so you should use new ones. Oh, and
don't compensate for that by over tightening them - you will damage
important components extremely easy - trust me :( !!! Each screw has
different tightening forces, depending on what they tight - look for it
in the HMM. I know that event the IBM approved services don't really
follow this recomandations, but then, it's your laptop. For example they
changed a motherboard for me 3 times and never replaced a screw...

If you don't replace them, you laptop will make "cheap" noises when you
move it....
But I was wondering what should you do when you change some customer
replaceable components like the keyboard or memory under the keyboard...
IBM should have provided some spare screws for that ;-) - as they do
with the one for the ultrabay locking.

Cheers,
Dragos

Steffen Dreise wrote:

>>because the screws are minor quality.
>>
>>if you take them out with not the exactly fitting screwdriver you damage
>>the heads and perhaps can't disassemble the thinkpad a second or third time
>>

>I have disassemble my thinkpad 5 times and i cant see any damage at the
>screws. I didnt use a screwdriver that fits exactly...
>
>Regards,
>rd

Dipl. Eng. Dragos Vingarzan
FOKUS/NGNI
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31
10589 Berlin,Germany
Phone +49 (0)30 - 3463 - 7385
Mobile +49 (0)162 - 153 - 0154
eMail vingarzan@fokus.fraunhofer.de
Web www.fokus.fraunhofer.de
We could change the world if God will give us the source code...