[ltp] Mails from ATI about the Suspend-To-Ram problem with fglrx drivers

Mario Limonciello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:40:17 -0400

Nils wrote:

>>What has been your makeshift solution in the meanwhile.  I am switching
>>to ACPI from APM because I was getting random crashing and didn't like
>>the power usage from APM when I knew it should a lot better.  So far
>>today in searching these forums, the only solution I see that still uses
>>fglrx is to kill the X server prior to suspending, followed by starting
>>it right after resuming, is this the case, or do you have a different
>>makeshift solution?
>>
>>Mario
>>

>I am sorry I haven't a good solution. In the moment I use acpi (boot option:
>acpi_sleep=s3_bios) with the XFree/Xorg radeon driver (and radeonfb for my
>console). This is working perfrectly, but without 3D acceleration. If I need
>3D acceleration I  boot with the option video=radeonfb:off . You don't need a
>reboot if you do not use the radeonfb.Then I restart my X-Server with the
>fglrx. Play a game .... After this I close the X-Server and restart with the
>radeon driver. (Sometimes you need to reboot) Now everything is working.
>Okay, it's not a good solution, but I don't need 3D acceleration very often.
>I have no hope that ATI has the ability to write a reasonable driver in the
>future :-( This is really embarassing, they should release their sources and
>it will be fixed in two days.
>Nils

Nills,
Here is what my make shift solution has been.  I use gdm to login, and
I'm on gentoo so adjust as needed for your self.  I just remember that
to kill what I'm running before doing this so as to prevent a loss of
data and such.
I put this in my default.sh under the heading of 00001004) which is for
the S3 sleep when hitting fn-f4.

                                                rmmod ehci_hcd ohci_hcd
uhci_hcd
                                                gdm-stop
                                                /etc/init.d/xdm zap
                                                rmmod fglrx
                                                echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
                                                modprobe fglrx
                                                modprobe ehci_hcd
                                                modprobe ohci_hcd
                                                modprobe uhci_hcd
                                                /etc/init.d/xdm start&
                                                ;;

So far I havent had any issues with this yet, but I have noticed that
sometimes leaving my laptop idle for a length of time allows it to just
turn itself off, I had a similar behavior with APM, but instead it would
sleep.  Do you know if there is some sort of way to prevent this - as
its pretty annoying when it happens and your on AC or such.  I have
looked through the BIOS but didnt see any ways there to prevent it neither.

Mario