[ltp] Unpleasant noise on T42p

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:24:14 +0200

Norman Walsh wrote:
> A few weeks ago, my T42p started to make an unpleasant noise. It's not
> easy to describe, something like a buzzing insect only higher pitched
> and more "elecronic" sounding.
>
> IBM warranty repair :-) and a little experimentation allow me to
> conclude that it isn't the drive or the fan.
>
> Anyone ever heard of this problem or have suggestions about what it
> might be?
>
> I suppose I could ship it back to warranty repair again and let them
> try to figure it out, but I hate giving vague problem reports :-)

Norman,
do you have a double boot on that machine ? If so is the noise same also
under the other OS ?

Did you try muting all unnecessary audio ports ?

PCMCIAs like modem, eth or other nearby sources of EMF interference ?

Same noise with video backlight turned off.

Have got powernowd running ? Is noise same under all CPU frequencies ?

Is the noiuse the same with the CD/DVD unit pulled outside ?

Is the noise same with the battery pulled out ?

Did you try with another power source ? Plugged into a grounded outlet ?

An if all else fails, are you religious ? If so why not try with a
priest blessing it ? :) :=) If you are not religious, did you get your
hearing checked :)

HTH,
Bob