[ltp] Wireless things

Alejandro Bonilla linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:12:16 -0600

|Hi all,
|
|I've never used wireless networking, so excuse my ignorance.
|The thing is
|my R51 sometimes lits up that "radio light" (the leftmost of
|the little
|green leds at the bottom of the screen). What does it mean?
|
|Does it mean my computer is sending out some signal? How can I
|turn that
|off?
|
|Does it mean my computer is receiving some signal? How can I get more
|information about it and, if possible, connect to that network
|(if any)?
|
|If it's not clear, I have no wireless network knowingly
|configured, but
|there may be some available one in some places I move to...
|
|Thanks
|--
|The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:

This normally happen when your box is getting 0wnEd!

Just kidding.

You will need to look into what card your system is using.
Normally the lights says that there is an association. I don't think it
turns on when there is no activity.
What wireless card is it? an intel IPW card (2200) or is it other brand or
what?

Your card is probably already getting associated with an open network.

check #iwconfig